Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Good Character


While raising my kids there are several areas that I pray I do not fail in.

I pray that I am a good example, I pray they will continue serving the Lord when they leave our home, and I pray that they have good character.

Building good character I find to be quite hard while having so much fighting against us.
Just turn on the T.V.
The kids are back talking their parents, disrespecting adults and always being sneaky and mean... 
Commercials glorify whiny bratty children who do what it takes to get their way...and this is considered normal and it is joked about.

An example of this is this Betty Crocker commercial.
In this commercial the boy asks for a treat. His mom doesn't answer him and the boys says Plllleeeaaassseee through the entire store.
Everyone around notices, everyone is effected and, when they reach the fruit snacks, the mom hands him a box and he runs off. *see the commercial HERE *
The commercial itself bothers me but, the quote that Better Crocker makes is pretty disturbing
"Hey moms! What do you think about this new clip for Betty Crocker Fruit Snacks? Sound familiar? :)"


No, it doesn't sound familiar, it isn't "cute" to me. 
Maybe I am a prude, maybe I am old fashioned but since when did this behavior become cute?

This kid has learned nothing from his mother except if he cries long enough he gets his way. And, what happens when he has a boss, and he cries but doesn't get his way? I would love to be a fly on the wall for THAT encounter.
BAD CHARACTER.

What's worse is these things happen in everyday real life. It isn't just some cutesy commercial to buy fruit snacks... it is reality.
How does one compete with that?
I use the things we see to my advantage. When I see this type of behavior ... we as soon as we can sit down and have a discussion about it.
If another kid is hitting, or spitting or lying or anything that I consider to be *wrong* we use that as an example of what not to be.
My kids are not perfect... I often have to use their actions as a character lesson as well. But, I feel I must be consistent in this area.
I can teach my child all the Bible verses there are. I can teach them all the good Godly music I can find. I can take them to church Sunday after Sunday but, all of that is for naught if he/she is a known Liar, or thief, or crybaby , or fit thrower , or... well you get the point.
I do not want the type of children that when we walk into a room people say "Oh no, Jason and Kristy are here with their kids" in a negative tone.
I do not want the type of children that when we go to the park the parents are telling their kids to stay away from mine.. or out to eat when the waitress comes to our table and sees all the kids and I know her initial thought (I have been there, I waitressed before having kids.. I know what most are like when out to eat) but, I want my kids to prove her wrong. I want the elderly couple who think that their dinner is ruined by four rowdy kids to be wrong.
I do not do or say any of this for glory. The glory all goes to God. I am an imperfect person trying to raise four imperfect people... but, my point here is that God has to shine even through our children... through their Character. 
I struggle with trying to teach my kids right and wrong same as anyone.
It is a fear I have that I will fail. I know it is wrong to fear.. I know that I shouldn't but, I often do.
This is an area that I need to stay in prayer about. 
It is an area that I need to stay on top of because it can quickly spiral if I am not there to constantly try and correct their behavior when it isn't what it should be.
It is hard work and at times I want to throw in the towel... but in the end, I have to answer to God  for how these kids grow up.  
Being a discontent and whiny kid is one thing but, those discontent whiny kids grow up to be discontent whiny adults. Ever meet one? I have and, it isn't pretty.
Ever meet an adult that lies all the time? Do you want to be around them?... I DON'T.
Ever meet a mean adult (a bully)? I have... no fun.
The list goes on really doesn't it?
None of these things do I want to be known for or my children (as adults or children).
This parenting thing is hard that is for sure... but, I do LOVE every second of it.   I wouldn't trade it for all the money or fame in the world. God has blessed me and I am so thankful for his love and for the children he has given me.

2 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

That commercial was crazy!!! I can't even imagine putting up with that. What a sad testimony but it's totally realistic for today.

Great post Kristy. Parenting is a big chore, but it's worth it.

Unknown said...

Amen, Kristy! I'm working to instill godly character in my kids, too, and it IS a hard job. Thanks for sharing your heart!