Monday, February 20, 2012

How do you measure up?








I don't know about you, but often when reading blogs or talking to other woman I just feel like I do not measure up.
I will read about all these homemade foods they make, how clean their homes are and perfectly behaved their children are.
Don't get me wrong, while I do try to make my children behave and I do clean my home and try and prepare foods that are healthy for my family.. When I read these things or talk to certain woman, I feel like I do not measure up.... I am simply not doing enough.
I have struggled with this in the past. I have read Proverbs 31 and I have in my head what a good Godly wife and mother aught to be... and, while I am NO means perfect, I was striving to be the best mom and wife I could be..
But, often times, I would defeat myself "what does it matter, look what an awesome mother SHE is" "look at how nice HER house is"
The reality is, I am never discontent in my home until I read these blogs or talk to these woman. I do my best to take care of my home but, life gets busy and sometimes, yes, sometimes, my home is A MESS. I mean down right embarrassingly messy. Sometimes, we have Mcdonalds for dinner or hotdogs and mac n cheese.
Sometimes, I get snippy with my kids and sometimes, even my husband.
And, sometimes, my kids talk back or disobey... yah really.. they do!
And ya know what... it is ok. No, I am not saying it is ok to yell at your kids and husband but, what I am saying is, I am trying... Striving and I will NEVER ever EVER be perfect (until I am walking streets of Gold) until then, I am going to continue to do what is good for me and mine.
I am not saying that these people are unhappy. They seem to be so... But, I know that we are. We have tough times.. but, we also have a LOT of good times. We are busy making memories with eachother so, if you come by and my floor is not swept, I think it is pretty safe to assume that that time was spent doing something fun.. something to build memories with my children... often times, this is something like the zoo, or museum or the like.. other times, it is a downright lazy day where we cuddle around all day and stay in our Jams (this doesn't happen AS often with my work schedule).
The point is.. no one is perfect no matter how they look in a blog or at coffee... We all have our struggles. In the end, I will have to answer for my childrens behavior and the way that I have kept my home... no one else. :0)
I have decided to look at blogs and the like with a different attitude. To see the things they do and if I can apply them , do so (there is a TON of awesome advice out there) but if I can not, I am not going to take it to heart.. not going to feel badly that I am unable to make every single meal from scratch or that I am unable to keep my house Company clean always...
God has blessed me with SO much.. and I am not going to be discontent with it!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You just remember this one thing, my friend: you can be whoever you want on the Internet. That "perfect" mommy blogger can choose to let you see that pile of laundry that has been there, waiting to be folded for the past two days. Or she can choose to not mention it. Or she can choose to lie about it.

We all have struggles. I don't like to talk about the negative: dirty house, bratty kids, etc. but it still happens to all of us. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a flat-out liar. :-D

Keep your eye on the goal! Micky Dees everyone once in a while won't kill the kids, plus they'll have a blast and you won't have kitchen to clean up!

Kristy... said...

THANKS Elizabeth :) your kind words are just what I needed... <3 and I think you are right... That people can be whoever they want on the internet and, I lost sight of that for a little bit.

Emily Klakulak said...

This is so very totally true. Good post.

Pat said...

Thanks for your honesty and you are right on. Believe me as a Moma who only has one left in the nest, they will fly too soon, so enjoy them, not things!

momto8 said...

I hear you!! I stopped caring how I measure up a long long time ago...it is not between me and someone else anyway..it is between me and God.
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.