Monday, January 2, 2012

getting organized in 2012 (part 1)

Organization has never been a strong point for me. I have the desire to do it, but when life happens it ends up being pushed to the back of the pile. Laundry HAS to be done but the linen closet doesn't "HAVE" to be clean right?
ugh I shamefully let some things go in my house like my linen closet even more so since I started working part time.
This year, I have resolved to GET ORGANIZED. I know that in the long run, it WILL make my life a lot easier. And so, it begins.

I had no intentions on starting with said linen closet... however, today I threw something in there and stuff poured out. I figured it was as good of a time as any.
I am sharing a before picture in HOPES that most (or all, all would be nice) will think to yourself "I have a closet like that" and if not, humor me, and don't tell me how neat and tidy you are ( I feel bad enough lol)

Anyway... here is the before (SHAMEFUL)Edited to say "I look like a hoarder in this picture" lol


**let me add this is the WORST it has ever been (for the record) it is normally not THIS bad but,with working, homeschooling, church and well , being lazy and hanging out on the internet, it has got worse***

And here is the after... MUCH better


We went to IKEA over the weekend and I bought the above magazine holders. They were like 5 for a 1.99 or something like that. I had got the idea to buy them from an organizing blog. She used them for her foil, ziplock bags and such ... I bought them for that (which I LOVE them for) but, I found more uses. One is for my curling iron and hairdryer. I have one for soap, one for all my hair products.. oh, you get the point. I then went out and bought those green crates for different things. These are only two of my shelves, I did them all but, since the first picture only shows the top three or so, I decided to keep the after picture as such.
One of my organizing blogs I read, said a label maker is aMUST so, I got some money for Christmas and I purchased one. It is just an inexpensive one from Walmart but, I have found it VERY handy... I am in love and I do not think I will ever be labelmakerless ever again :)
Winter or spring break I will be painting the inside of the linen closet a chocolate brown.. I think it will look great with the green bins!
I hope to be posting more "before and afters" this year... hopefully they will not be as embarrassing as this one was. :)

4 comments:

~Ava Kinsey said...

Looks great!

That's a great idea for using magazine holders for ziplock bags! I was just wondering today what I could use to store them. I did have them in a drawer, but I wanted to reorganize so that I could clear some countertop space. I will be looking for some magazine holders tomorrow! (Sure wish we had an IKEA store in Memphis!)

Tori Leslie said...

Hey that looks awesome! Great job, better go get busy!

Melanie said...

That is great. I've never been to an IKEA, but I have always wanted some of those magazine holders and that is a great price!

Carrie said...

Had to stop by and see your closet after you seeing mine...even if you think yours looked worse...mine still looks this way!! Gotta hit that project soon!! It's amazing how homeschool, church, and life have a way of creating disasters at home...certainly wouldn't trade it for any other way!!
Yours looks great!
Thanks for stopping by Saving4Six.